Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Blog About Nothing (A la Jerry Seinfeld)

As I seek to become a true blogger, I find myself going through my days stopping to ask myself, "Is this moment blog worthy?" I might see something as I'm driving down the street, or see a couple interacting over coffee (yes, at Starbucks) and think "Oooooh! I could blog about that!" But I never seem to either, A) remember the moment by the time I get back to my computer, B) find enough about said moment that will be blogable, or C) be able to spice it up to be funny or interesting enough to be worth my time and yours!

Now I've never been a huge Seinfeld fan, but I've seen my fair share of episodes and have definitely had plenty of laughs courtesy of Jerry Seinfeld. "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" Anyhoo, in all of my thinking about what to blog about I thought about the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry and George present "The Show About Nothing". I thought, "Hey, if this guy can create a whole show about nothing, I can certainly write one measly little blog about nothing, right?! Right."

So while I'm obsessing about what to write about, or what not to write about in this case, I find myself in Fresno with my BFF (also a fellow blogger) catching up, reminiscing, and just having fun the way good 'ol Besties do! First stop: Sierra Running Company to get me some new running shoes. (Enter side note here: If buying a new $100 pair of shoes doesn't get your ass to the gym, I don't know what will?! ) The first pair was a pair of Asics. The display was white and blue but the size 8 in back turned out to be grey and pink... OMG! A pink running shoe? For meeeee? Yes, please! Of course I tried to keep in mind that I couldn't pick a shoe just because it was pretty, but really this shoe fit my foot like a sock. I couldn't even feel it, it hugged my foot so nicely. Rather than picking the first shoe I tried on-because, really what are the odds that its "The One", I proceeded to try on shoe, after shoe, after shoe until I was down to three: Saucony (pink again!), Adidas (blue-like every other running shoe I've EVER had), and the original Asics. I wore the Saucony and the Adidas together and immediately canceled the Saucony. Pink shoe, I love you, but you're out!

(Here's where it gets funny) So I'm down to two and I thought I needed a blind test to make sure I wasn't making a biased shoe choice based solely (no pun intended!) on color. I sat on the stool and closed my eyes. Danielle (the BFF) sits on my lap and proceeds to put on my shoes and tie them for me! Why she couldn't do it from the floor in front of me is beyond me? Mom's do it for their kids all the time! But leave it to Danielle to turn what could have been a very normal occurrence into a funny--possibly embarrassing, but wasn't because it was so funny--moment for everyone in the store! Of all the weird stuff we have documented over the years of our friendship, it's hard for me to believe that we didn't get a picture of this one! Not like we'll ever forget it, but it would have been a nice image to share with the world!

After Sierra Running Co (Oh, and I bought the pink asics! Woo!! I have pink shoes!) we headed to REI to look for new ski pants for myself. Well they didn't have a very good selection and we found ourselves distracted by the HUGE selection of beanies on our way to ask a sales clerk if they had more ski pants. I'm fairly certain between the two of us we tried on every beanie in the store and had so much fun doing it! We looked like the biggest 25/26 year old dorks playing with ear flaps, tassels, and bobbly tops. Who knew beanies could be so much fun?! I guess maybe you had to be there to appreciate us in all our silliness, but I'm sure the child in all of you gets the picture.

So we leave REI sans ski pants or beanie and I asked Danielle, "Are you going to blog about tonight?!" Her response: "I thought about it!!"

Well, one of us should, so here I find myself blogging about the possibility of finding moments in life that are blogworthy. Turns out, they're everywhere. It's like when you're trying to think of a song and it's right at the tip of your tongue but you just can't find it. Then when you stop thinking of it it randomly comes to you while you're taking out the trash. Same situation. The moment I stop looking for things to write about I find the words waiting ever so patiently at the tips of my fingers until I can log onto Blogger and let them do their thing!

So here you have it, ladies and gentlemen... the blog about nothing-which really is something if you ask me!

3 comments:

  1. Asics! Asics! Asics!

    I wish we could find an evening every week (or every other!) for the three of us to get together and run around Woodward Park. I'm becoming The Very Lonely Runner.

    Congrats on the new pink purchase! Send me a picture when you start wearing them EVERYWHERE, because you will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! Your BFF sounds like hoot! The part where she sat on your lap to put the shoes on for you was so funny!! Congrats on pink shoes:)! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you decided to blog about that night! I couldn't have said it any better... I wish I could copy and paste this to my blog. Wait a min... Am I a lazy blogger if I steal your blog for my own? I mean, I'd give you the credit... We need blogging rules! ;)

    ReplyDelete