Monday, August 2, 2010

My Boyfriend's Back!

No, no, no.  Rick didn't go anywhere.  My other boyfriend, *Alex (not his real name) from Starbucks.  He moved away for a while, but things didn't work out, so he moved back!  Which is great for me because that means...FREE COFFEE!!!

Our relationship began a couple years ago when he first started at my neighborhood Starbucks.  I always order an iced coffee in the summer, and a hot coffee with nonfat milk and white mocha syrup in the winter.  Both drinks are made by the person taking my order (as opposed to the barista) and are presented to me at the register.  This means that they don't need to ask for my name in order to call out my drink when it's ready at the bar.  However, after a few visits, Alex asked my name for my coffee drink that did not require a name.  This was my first clue that he would soon become my "boyfriend".  I knew he didn't need my name, and just wrote it on the cup as a sly excuse to get it.

We were off to a slow start, but after the name incident, things started to progress.  He memorized my drink, and now has it started as I approach the register to order.  If he's working the register, he gives me a free drink, and if he's making drinks, he always knows exactly what I want and exactly how to make it.  He's now memorized my sister's drink and has that ready for her when she goes in!  She even gets free coffee now, too!  We've gotten some other freebies over the past year, but I'm afraid to divulge too much for fear that someone might read this (wishful thinking, I know) who happens to know Alex and sabotage our relationship.  That would be all kinds of bad--for both of us.

I must mention, that both Alex and I have a real girlfriend and boyfriend, respectively, outside of Starbucks.  I must also mention that when either of them or there, I don't get free coffee.  Rick knows about Alex, but it's obvious that Alex's girlfriend does not know about me.  To each his own, I suppose.

Now for a while, things were purely materialistic in our relationship.  He's my "boyfriend" because he gives me free stuff.  However, yesterday, things took a step forward.  I realized I "love" him for more than his freebies.  He actually is my coffee saint!  I went in to order drinks for my sister and myself.  My summer coffee drink is always the same --Venti iced coffee/three pumps white mocha/nonfat milk-- so I ordered it and the guy wrote it on the cup and set it on the bar for Alex to make.  Then I ordered my sister's drink, which was different only in that it is her winter usual, not her summer usual.  The register guy rings me up, and Alex informs me that I have to wait for them to make more iced coffee, so whadd'ya know--I get a free drink!  I go sit down to wait for a few  minutes and I hear Alex call my name.  I go up to the bar and he's looking back and forth at me and my cup with confusion. "You want a breve?" Uhhhh..... no! I tell Alex that I just want my usual drink, and as we're talking, the guy at the register interrupts and says, "She said cream".  No I didn't.  Don't even try to save your own ass buddy, because I did not, and never will order full fat cream in my coffee.  Ever.  Alex just rolls his eyes, gives me a grin and a nod, and says, "I got it".

And this, my friends is yet another reason why I Alex is my "boyfriend".  He's more than just my giver of free drinks, he pays attention to me and my needs.  If it had been any other person working that day, I would have gotten the wrong drink and no one would have thought to ask if what was written on the cup was what I really wanted.  But Alex knew.  So thank you, Alex.

And dude working the register, you should thank him, too.  He saved your butt from the wrath that is Amanda's 'you-best-get-my-drink-right, crazy flag'!  That's right, people.  I have a crazy flag.  And when it comes to my coffee, I'm not afraid to fly it!


Happy Monday, Bloggers!


1 comment:

  1. AHHHAHAHA! Yes! So glad Alex is back! Considering that I've met Boo and your "boyfriend", I'm happy to say that you need them both in your life. I'm also glad they are fulfilling your needs hehe. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete