Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Question of the Day

Why is it that I spend more time on the appearance and layout of my blog than I actually do on writing new posts for my blog?  If I'm not even adding new posts, no one is reading; therefore, no one will even see the new updates to my page.  My answer: I can rarely think of things to write about, and I'm a perfectionist so I spend hours trying to find a blog layout that I actually like.  That's my only solution.  So, in the spirit of actually adding a new blog post, here are some updates in my life:

I have finished student teaching.  YAY!  I just need to finish two case studies and take the RICA this Saturday, June 12.  After that, I will be fully credentialed and can start putting in my resume and applications EVERYWHERE!!!  I'm also starting my masters program in July.  I got a sneak peak of my first class already and I'm not going to lie, it looks a little intimidating.  Condensing a semester's worth of credential work into 4 weeks was rough, but a semester's worth of masters work looks like it's going to give me a run for my money!  Lucky for me, I have decided (and have the option) to only work on my masters while I am not working.  So, I'll start my first class in July and if I don't get a job, I'll keep working on it.  If by some grace of God I do get a job, I will put my program on hold until the following summer break so that I can devote all of my attention to my first year of teaching.  I know me, and I wouldn't be able to be a first year teacher and masters student at the same time.  I would literally have a melt down!  Also, I want to get hired somewhere before I actually get my masters degree.  I'd be willing to bet that I'm more likely to get hired without the extra education, than I would with the extra education.  Sounds backwards, but they have to pay more for a masters degree, and with today's economy and teacher cuts, I'm more likely to get a job if they think they have to pay me less.  Once I'm hired, I'll finish my masters program and let them know, "By the way, I have my masters.  Pay up suckers!"  Well, it won't go exactly like that, but you get the picture!

Also in recent news: Belle had her baby!  Since I shouted it from the roof tops, I'm sure everyone knows, but for those who don't she had a baby boy on May 17;  Noah Mateo Alvarez.  He looks exactly like his sister, but he looks like a boy.  Some babies just look like babies.  They don't look like one gender or another, but Noah definitely has a boy face.  We could put him in pink ribbons and lace (which we won't, I promise... although it does give a funny mental image...) and you would still know he was a boy.  I was in love with him the moment I met him.  I can not even explain how it feels to love someone so much that you just met and don't even know yet.  If I feel this way about my niece and nephew, I can't even imagine how I'll feel when I have my own kids.  I think my heart might explode with love (it feels pretty close already)!

In other news, I have a busy and eventful summer ahead of me.  As I already said, I am taking the RICA this weekend, and I am starting my first masters course in July.  But I also have some fun stuff planned as well.  This weekend is also Rick's sisters bachelorette weekend in Aptos.  I love the beach and always feel like I'm home when I go back to the Santa Cruz area.  I'm definitely looking forward to this weekend with the girls at the beach.  Also, I have two weddings to go to in July.  I love me a good wedding, so I'm really looking forward to those!  Also in July, I get to go visit one of my besties in SLO.  My new friend, Jen and I are road tripping there which is equally as exciting as actually being in SLO with Nikki.  Then two days after my SLO trip, I have my 10k in Santa Cruz.  Leading up to my 10k, I'll be in the gym 6 days a week getting ready for it.  Since I'm not working and not starting school again until July, I should have plenty of time and zero excuses for not being prepared!

On that note, I should probably get my butt to the gym before I find a reason to talk myself out of it!

3 comments:

  1. P.S. I should mention that I was born in Santa Cruz, which is why I said I always feel 'home' when I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were born in Santa Cruz! Love the updates, love the new layout (I visit your blog often enough to see all the layouts you experiment with even when you aren't updating your posts:) love you!! So nice to see what's going on in your world. Thanks for the bestie love and the bloggy love- you are so sweet!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just now saw your new posts! Color me a bad friend! Thanks for the shout out- I'm so excited to road trip with you! Huzzaahhh!!

    Also- congrats on beginning the Masters program- that is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete